We need a Junior Operations Engineer who is comfortable at a console and eager to keep a fast-growing environment versatile, secure and resilient to free-agent Chaos Monkeys.
You’ll be working alongside our engineers and developers to support the growing challenges of our large cloud-based infrastructure, including data footprint management, provisioning and deployment automation, and maximizing uptime in both the public-facing website and backend processing.
Some technologies in our stack include:
- Rackspace Cloud – Servers, Load Balancers
- Ubuntu Linux
- Nginx, Haproxy, Apache HTTP
- MySQL, MongoDB, Memcache, Redis, Cassandra
- Solr, ElasticSearch
- Help manage monitoring, backups, networking, security
- Improve our deployment and resource provisioning workflow
- Document important components and processes to facilitate shared knowledge
- Participate in a rotating on-call schedule for incident response
- A good understanding of the UNIX operating system
- Some experience in Ruby, Python or shell scripting of the non-Perl persuasion
- Willingness to learn and to support new technologies
- The ability to effectively communicate and work with a physically distributed team
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent degree/work experience
- Familiarity with the architecture of a typical LAMP or RoR stack
- Experience with various technologies listed above
- Have contributed to an open-source project before
- Comfortable with git, svn or other version control
Is this you?
If you think this job is right for you, email `firstname.lastname@example.org` with a one-line command to compress daily-rotated `YYYYMMDD.log` files in a directory `/var/log/stuff/` that are older than a week. Include your resume and your GitHub username if you have one.